Gopal Mandir

Also known as Shree Dwarikadhish Mandir

A temple constructed by Bayajibai Shinde.

Gopal temple at Ujjain is dedicated to Lord Krishna in blue form. It is also known as Dwarikadhish Temple. Lord Krishna is the lover of milkmaids, the celestial herdsman and the great incarnation of Preserver of the Universe-God Vishnu.

Ujjain passed on to the Scindias around 1750. The Maratha domination of Malwa gave impetus to a cultural renaissance in the region and modern Ujjain can rightly be said to have come into being during their rule. Most of the temples of Ujjain were constructed during this period. One of these is the Gopal Mandir built by Bayaja Bai, wife of Daulat Rao Scindia during 1848-56 and dedicated to Dwarkadheesh, the tutelary deity of the Scindia family.

The Shikhar and the garbhagriha is in white marble while the main idol, the porch and the galleries are of black stone. The steeple structure in Marble proves the fantabulous example of the architecture of Maratha. There is an outstanding statue of God Krishna in silver form with the height of 2 feet. The idol of God Krishna is placed on a marble-inlaid altar with the silver-plated doors.

The main entry door to the garbhgriha is of silver that was originally part of the Somnath Temple. Ghaznavi carried it to Ghazni as part of his loot. Mohammad Shah Abdali brought it to Lahore. Mahadji Scindia during his sack of Lahore brought it to Ujjain and had it installed at the Gopal Mandir.