Kaliadeh Palace

A beautiful palace build up of persian architecture

Kaliadeh Palace Ujjain

The only Sun temple of Ujjain.

The Kaliadeh Palace is located on the bank of the River Shipra and is one of the most visited sites of the state of Madhya Pradesh. It is like an isle that is separated by a small stretch of water that makes it look more elegant. this island-like site immediately conjures up the natural beauty of ancient Ujjain which poets down the ages have waxed lyrical. The glorious landscape of the flowing river on both sides of the palace and the man-made tanks and channels, with water gurgling through them, provide a spectacular backdrop to the imposing building.

The Avanti-mahatmya of Skanda Purana has recorded a description of the Sun temple and two tanks, The Surya Kunda and the Brahma Kunda. Remains of old temple are scattered all around. A fragmented inscription of this place records building of the palace in 1458 AD, in the time of Mahmud Khilji. The central dome of the palace is a beautiful example of Persian architecture. Two Persian inscriptions found in one of the long corridors of the palace record the visits of Emperor Akbar and Jehangir to this palace. The palace was broken down in the time of the Pindaris and was restored by Madhav Rao Scindia in 1920 to its present glory. The Sun Temple was also restored by the family.

The palace has been presently restored with its fineness and glory. Along with the compound wall and the pillars the sun temple is also renovated which is located at the center of the palace. Since it is surrounded by River Shipra this palace shares the elegance of nature.